The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) reminds certain tax-exempt organizations of the upcoming, May 15, 2023, annual filing due date. The filing deadline is based on the end of those organization's accounting periods that operate on a calendar-year (CY) basis; which is equal to fifteen days after the closing date. Returns include the following:
- Form 990-series annual information returns (Forms 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF)
- Form 990-N, Electronic Notice (e-Postcard) for Tax-Exempt Organizations Not Required to File Form 990 or Form 990-EZ
- Form 990-T, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return (other than certain trusts)
Electronic filing provides immediate confirmation that the IRS has received the return, which reduces processing time, making compliance easier. Note the following electronic filing requirements:
- Organizations filing a Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF or 990-T for CY2022 must file their returns electronically.
- Private foundations filing Form 4720 for CY 2022 are required to file the form electronically.
- Charities and other tax-exempt organizations can file these forms electronically through an IRS Authorized e-File Provider.
- Organizations eligible to submit Form 990-N must do so electronically and can submit it through Form 990-N (e-Postcard) on IRS.gov.
Frequent reasons for an organization’s return to be rejected is if there are inaccuracies or if the return is incomplete.
Tax-exempt organizations have the option of filing Form 8868 (Application for Extension of Time to File an Exempt Organization Return) if they need additional time to file beyond the May 15 deadline. Keep in mind, if tax is due, extending the time for filing a return does not extend the time for paying tax.
SPS/GZ is a full-service tax reporting firm that provides personalized service and exceptional support, utilizing state-of-the-art technology to business clients of all sizes. We create and e-file Forms 1098-T, 1042-S, and 1099 online filing, Affordable Care Act tax forms, and Forms 3921 and 3922. For more information, reach out to us at [email protected] or call at (888)375-3049. Our complete and affordable solution allows administrators to simply upload their tax form data file to our secure portal in a few simple steps and we handle everything else to keep your organization compliant. Contact us today!